In the previous post, we have introduced Windows Server 2016 and the new features that have been added to Windows Server 2016. Please visit the following links and have a quick look to review these features. In this post, we will demonstrate a step by step guide to install Windows Server 2016 on VMware Workstation or Player. We assume that you have already downloaded the latest Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview ISO image file.
Before installing Windows Server 2016, ensure that your system meets the minimum system requirements. Click here to check the system requirements for Windows Server 2016.
Installing Windows Server 2016
To install Windows Server 2016 on VMware Workstation using ISO image, you need to perform the following steps:
- Make sure that you have installed the latest version of VMware Workstation or VMware Workstation Player and the VMware console is active.
- On the VMware console, select File and then select New Virtual Machine to create a new virtual machine.
- On the New Virtual Machine Wizard, click Next.
- On the Guest Operating System Installation page, select the Installer disc image file (iso): radio button.
- Browse the location of the Windows Server 2016 ISO image file and then click Next.
Note: If you use the VMware platform that automatically detects the version of the Windows server, you may be asked to set the product key, operating system edition, and the Administrator account’s password.
- On the Select a Guest Operating System page, select the Windows Server 2016. If Windows Server 2016 is not listed (if you use an older version of VMware Workstation), select the highest supported version of Windows server, and then click Next.
- On the Name and Virtual Machine page, specify the name of the virtual machine in the Virtual machine name field. In the Location field, navigate the location where you want to save the virtual machine and then click Next.
- On the Specify Disk Capacity page, select Store virtual disk as a single file, optionally you can also set the disk size as well. 50 GB disk space would be enough for the testing purpose. Click Next.
- On the Ready to Create Virtual Machine page, click Finish and close the Virtual Machine Settings window.
- Power on the virtual machine. The Windows Setup page should be displayed. Press any if the Press any key to boot message appears. Click Next, and then click Install Now.
- On the Select the operating system you want to install page, select the Windows Server 2016 Desktop Experience, and then click Next.
- On the License terms page, select the I accept the license terms check box and navigate to the Which type of installation do you want page. Since we are going to perform the clean installation of Windows Server 2016, select the Custom option, and then click Next.
- On the Where do you want to install Windows page, click Next. The installation process will begin, after 10-15 minutes the Customize settings screen will display.
- Set the desired password for the Administrator account and sign in to your Windows Server 2016 virtual machine.
That’s all you need to do to install Windows Server 2016 on VMware platform. Drop your queries in the comment box, if you have something to say us. Do share the article.