You can move virtual machines from one virtual platform to another virtual platform using the import and export virtual machine feature. For example, you can export a virtual machine running on the VMware Workstation host and then you can import it into the Hyper-V host. In this post, we will explain how to export import virtual machines in VMware platform.
Importing Virtual Machines
If you want to run the virtual machines on VMware Workstation exported from the other virtualization platform such as VirtualBox or Hyper-V, you can do this by importing the virtual machines to VMware Workstation. VMware Workstation supports the following types of virtual machines:
- Windows XP Mode virtual machines
- Open Virtualization Format (OVF) virtual machines
- Windows Virtual PC virtual machines
To import a virtual machine in Workstation, you need to perform the following steps:
- On the VMware Workstation console, click File, and then click Open.
- Browse and select the location of the supported virtual machine configuration file and then run the virtual machine in Workstation.
Exporting Virtual Machines
You can export a virtual machine from VMware Workstation to OVF format. OVF is a platform-independent, open packaging, and distribution format for virtual machines. It provides a complete specification of the virtual machine, including the full list of required virtual disks and the required virtual hardware configuration. In addition, you can also use the standalone OVF Tool to convert a VMware-based virtual machine. Before exporting a virtual machine to an OVF virtual machine, make sure that the virtual machine is not encrypted and it is powered off.
Also read: Encrypted Virtual Machine.
To export a virtual machine to an OVF format, you need to perform the following steps:
- Select the virtual machine that you want to export, click File, and then click Export to OVF.
- On the Export Virtual Machine to OVF window, type a name for the OVF file and specify a directory in which to save it.
- Click Save to start the OVF export process.
- The export process can take several minutes. A status bar indicates the progress of the export process.
That’s’ all you need to do to export import virtual machines in VMware Workstation. Hope, it helped you and you have loved it. Do share the article.