In the previous post, we have prepared and configured a WDS server. In this post, we will explain how to install Windows operating system on VMware Workstation or VMware Workstation Player using PXE boot. VMware Workstation/Player allows you to install a guest operating system using the following options:
- Installer disc: Use this option to install a guest operating system using the physical DVD installation media.
- Installer disc image file (iso): Use this option to install a guest operating system using the ISO image file.
- I will install operating system later: Use this option to decide the installation option later. Typically used to perform the network-based installation using the PXE boot option.
Steps to Install VMware Virtual Machine Using PXE Boot
To install a VMware virtual machine using the PXE LAN boot option, you need to perform the following steps:
- Open the VMware Workstation/Player console and click Create a New Virtual Machine.
- On the New Virtual Machine Wizard, select the I will install operating system later radio button, and then click Next.
- On the Select a Guest Operating System page, select Microsoft Windows under the Guest operating system section. Select the compatible edition from the Version drop-down list and then click Next.
- On the Name the Virtual Machine page, specify the name and location for the virtual machine and then click Next.
- On the Specify Disk Capacity page, select the desired option depending on your choice and then click Next.
- On the Ready to Create Virtual Machine page, click Customize Hardware. On the Hardware window, connect the virtual machine to a virtual switch that allows you to connect and access to WDS server.
- Close the Create a new virtual machine wizard and power on the virtual machine. The following screen should be displayed.
Note: If the virtual machine is unable to connect to the WDS server, ensure that the WDS server and PXE client machine are connected properly.
- Press the F12 key to start the network-based installation. If the PXE boot aborted message appears, reset the virtual machine and retry again. The booting process will start to load the Windows files from the WDS server. Specify the domain credentials of your domain and proceed next to continue the installation.
- From the next screen, the installation process will remain same as we used to perform the installation using the local installation media.
That’s all you need to install VMware virtual machine using the PXE boot option. Please subscribe us to get notified for the upcoming articles.